Justin Taylor at the Gospel Coalition has published an article based on asking several pastors or theologians what three essays or sermons they would highly recommend, possibly due to the impact it had on them.
The great news is that plenty of these resources are available free, so I’m reproducing the list but only with the free items in it. In this post you can see the main articles or sermons that impacted Bruce Ware and Donald Whitney.
- R.C. Sproul, Lecture on “The Locus of Astonishment” (A brief summary is available here. For a similar talk, listen to “When Towers Fall.”)
- Charles Spurgeon, “The Minister’s Fainting Fits,” from Lectures to My Students.
- Charles Spurgeon, Sermon on “The Eternal Name,” from Ps. 72:17, no. 27 (New Park Street Pulpit), May 27, 1855 PM
- Charles Spurgeon, Sermon on “Baptismal Regeneration“
- D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, “‘But God’: The Christian Message” (Ephesians 2:4)
You can find the complete list at Justin Taylor’s blog, but I’ll be featuring more over the coming weeks so you are not overwhelmed! Also, Justin Taylor’s list includes some books that you need to pay for, so I’ll just be showing those that are free.